Finding original saffron in the market is so important.
saffron is an expensive product and its high price tempts many dealers to produce fake or poor quality saffron and sell it as premium saffron.
There are several simple ways to identify the authenticity of saffron in the market, which we describe in this article.
Despite knowing all the methods of identifying the original saffron, if you buy saffron from unreliable sources, there is still a possibility of being deceived and buying high-quality saffron, especially when you order saffron online.
Therefore, the safest way to buy original saffron is to buy from large and reputable first-hand saffron producers such as Eyjan Saffron Company.
Eyjan Saffron Company with 20 years of experience in the production and export of first-class Iranian saffron and multiple standard certificates is the most confident option for buying Iranian saffron.
Through Eyjan Company, you can buy any type of saffron such as Super Negin saffron, Negin saffron, Sargol saffron, Pushal saffron, and Bunch saffron in any volume required in all seasons with guaranteed quality and excellent after-sales service.
Saffron fraud methods
Some scammers use various methods to increase saffron weight and make more profit.
To buy genuine saffron and prevent buying fake saffron, first of all, you should be familiar with the tricks of these fraudsters.
• They combine original saffron with some other ingredients such as salt, sugar or even safflower.
• Dyeing saffron cream with dye extracted from stigmas or other natural or artificial colors and mixing it with saffron or dyeing stigmas from flowers of other saffron species, which is usually shorter and lacks compounds. Or they use artificial colors to increase the coloring power of saffron.
• Weighing saffron by storing it in moist areas or even spraying small water particles and soaking it in oil, honey, glycerin or solutions of potassium or ammonium nitrate, sugar, sodium sulfate.
• Saffron, especially powdered saffron, is associated with more fraud. Profiteers add crushed saffron to increase the weight of red soil or powdered sugar.
• The most important fraud that takes place is the use of safflower, which is very similar to saffron.
Original saffron characteristics
To buy the original saffron, you should know its characteristics.
Know saffron by appearance:
• The branches of saffron stigmas are horn-shaped at the top and become narrower at the bottom.
• The color of saffron is deep red
• Saffron stigmas are not shiny. Sometimes in the preparation of counterfeit saffron, the stigmas of other plants, including corn, are dyed and sold instead of the original type.
• Genuine saffron smells sweet but its taste is not sweet at all
• Good saffron always has a sweet aroma and not a sweet taste.
• The whole product should be uniformly composed of one type of saffron and not a combination of saffron with different qualities.
• Saffron strings should be dry and brittle when touched.
• The aroma of saffron is fresh and thick, not moist.
• Existence of long red strings: This means that all the saffron strings are colored.
• Very uniform red color: again indicates that the saffron strands are colored.
• Yellow streaks in the strands: We red strands with yellow or orange streaks and then red again. This happens when the saffron is dyed, but the strands are stacked on top of each other, so the color does not reach the lower strands, leaving a red-yellow-red pattern.
How to distinguish original saffron
• The most common method of testing is with hot water.
• Pour a few strands of saffron into boiling water and check for discoloration. If the color of the water immediately changes to yellow and the saffron strand loses its color, then the saffron is not pure. Because the original saffron always gives back its color very slowly. In pure saffron, it takes 5 minutes to change the color of the water.
• Put one of the saffron strings on your tongue. If you feel the sweet taste in your mouth, this is fake saffron. The original saffron is slightly bitter or sometimes has no special taste.
• Pour some saffron on the paper or press it between your fingers. If grease stains remain on the paper, it indicates that unfortunately the saffron you bought is counterfeit and they may have added fat to it to gain weight. The original saffron turns into a powder if it is crushed between the paper.
• One of the interesting ways to identify the original saffron is to add a little baking soda to the water and mix it well. Then add a little saffron to the solution. If the saffron is genuine, the combination of water and baking soda will turn yellow, but if the saffron is counterfeit, the solution will turn pale red.
• Put some saffron on the stove and on the methane city flame. If its color changes to purple or orange, be happy to have the original saffron in your hand. Counterfeit saffron turns yellow. Also, the original saffron does not dissolve in gasoline, and if you pour a little of it into gasoline, it should not change its color.
• And we must doubt its authenticity. When the price of saffron is cheaper and far from reality, it is probably fake.
Original saffron price
Finally, the quality of saffron is not the only factor determining the price of saffron. The price of saffron depends on many factors, including the type of saffron, its quality, the amount of saffron harvested, the type of packaging, and the number of intermediaries before the saffron reaches your hands, and so on.
Producing saffron is hard work and time-consuming.
The quality of saffron starts from choosing the right onion. The producer must be very careful in choosing onions. Saffron onion size is the first indicator of product quality. Iranian saffron onion has a very high-quality. In addition, suitable climate and soil quality are also important factors for saffron quality. Iran is a good place to grow saffron.
To prepare 500 grams of this spice, it is necessary to cultivate about 50,000 flowers.
Harvesting it requires a lot of skilled labor. Because saffron should be harvested early in the morning and before sunrise. After the flower opens after sunrise, due to the sun’s harmful rays and dust, the flower begins to wither. This changes the chemical structure of saffron. And for this reason, early harvest is done.
Due to the need for skilled labor and huge agricultural space with suitable soil and climate, saffron becomes expensive.
Eyjan the saffron manufacturer company produces pure original saffron with the highest quality and offers it at the fairest price.